"Au-Some Swimmers"

     Every time I think I know just what occupational therapy is I learn something new about the profession, and I think that is what's so awesome about this profession. This week I listened to a podcast called "'Au-Some Swimmers': Role of OT in Swim Lessons for Kids with Autism". From listening to this podcast, I've learned more about who occupational therapists are and what they do. I've learned that there is so much more to occupational therapy than I first thought. In the podcast, Kim Persons and Nick Murray were interviewed about helping lifeguards teach kids with autism how to swim. When Nick Murray was a student at the University of Buffalo, he had to go to a site were there was no occupational therapy, but where there could be. His group chose to go to a Jewish community center and get connected with the lifeguards there. Nick Murray and 3 of his classmates discussed with the lifeguards what exactly they needed help with at the center, and what they found out was that they needed help teaching kids with autism.
     Therefore, the students partnered with these lifeguards and helped them figure out the best way to communicate with kids with autism. They discussed with the lifeguards the challenges that kids with autism face when it comes to swimming and how to overcome those challenges. The students suggested that the kids with autism be taught on a calm night in the middle of the week, and they suggested keeping a progress report for other lifeguards and for parents to see what their child has been working on. Sometimes the students even got in the pool with the kids and the lifeguards and helped out in the pool. 
     I was really intrigued by this podcast because I don't think going to a community center and partnering with lifeguards is something that I would have thought of to do, but when I read the title of the podcast I knew I had to listen. I don't think I will ever stop being amazed at all the different things we can do as occupational therapist and all the different places we can work. 


If you are interested in learning more about "Au-Some Swimmers", listen to the podcast here: http://glasshalffullot.com/podcast/au-some-swimmers/

Comments

  1. I love this idea! There are so many areas where OT can be effective in changing someone's life and, like you, I am amazed every time I hear one of these stories! Now these kids will have a skill that they might have missed out on - because of occupational therapy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such an interesting post! It was the first time I had heard anything about swimming lessons for kids with autism. I think it's so awesome that Nick was able to start something that was so needed in that community, especially with a group of children who are often underserved an d left out. I think it would be such a good idea to get something like that started here in Memphis! I hope one day I get an idea for something as awesome as this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool way to combine aquatic therapy with community outreach! I also love to learn more about the different aspects and settings of OT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote 1

What is the OTPF?

NeuroNote 4