Mock Interview Reflection

          Today, I had a wonderful opportunity to do a mock interview in order to prepare for future job interviews. During the actual interview process, I kept thinking that I sounded really unsure of my answers to the questions being asked. I feel like they weren't hard question, but they were not questions I had really prepared for when practicing so I had to gather my thoughts before answering. However, after I rewatched my video, I was surprised to hear that I didn't really sound unsure of myself, and I answered the questions better than I originally thought. As I was rewatching it, I could tell that I was gathering my thoughts as I was speaking, as well as trying to figure out how to word it in a way that sounded professional. 
          In order to prepare for my mock interview, I mainly used the resources that were provided on Blackboard. I got together with a couple of friends, and we took turns answering interview questions and helping each other with wording answers in a way that seemed professional. This is something that went differently than I expected. I had focused on questions that were on the resources, which were great preparation and did help me with the questions I was asked; however, some of the questions were different than what I expected, which threw me off a little, but they also helped challenge me and made me think.
          One piece of feedback that I received after my mock interview was about making eye contact. During this experience, I realized that when I didn't feel prepared for an answer I would look somewhere else and think for a second about my answer. Therefore, if I were going through this process again, I would make sure that holding eye contact is something that I do a better job at. Another piece of feedback that I received was not to just answer the question but bring in something personal and tell a story. This will help a possible future employer get to know me better in a shorter amount of time. Bringing in personal stories is something that I would do if I were to go through this process again, and it is something I will do when I meet potential employers for future job interviews.
          Lastly, something that I learned from this process is to keep an open mind. I had assumed that I knew the questions that were going to be asked of me, and when others were asked, I felt very unsure about my response. When I am preparing to enter the workforce, I want to think outside of the box to think about questions that could be asked, but I know that there is no way that I will know every question that someone may ask me. Therefore, I want to go in with an open mind and just tell myself that I may not be prepared for every answer, but I will be able to answer them if I just slow down,clear my mind, and think for a second.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote 1

What is the OTPF?

NeuroNote 4