Before OT School

     When I arrived at UTHSC in January, I learned that Dr. Weisser-Pike has a certification in low vision and she specializes in treating people with vision loss. Before I began school, I did not even think about that being an option for an occupational therapist. I have always wanted to work with children with disabilities, so I never gave much thought to what else I could do with this degree other that the major specialties you hear about such as: gerontology, mental health, and physical rehab. Then, I learned that Professor Lancaster has a specialty certification as an Assistive Technology Profession, which I also did not realize was a specialty.
     In the month I have been in OT school, one thing that I continue to learn almost every day is how much you can do in this profession. I've learned of the many different paths you can take and choose in your profession depending on what you are interested in. I have learned not only the different specialties but the way you can develop your career as well (laterally, vertically, or through maturation).  Although I still believe I will want to specialize in pediatrics, it has been so interesting to learn about the many different paths one can take in this profession.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote 1

What is the OTPF?

NeuroNote 4